Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Good Golly Miss Molly (Music Review: Molly Ringwald, Except Sometimes)

Who knew Molly Ringwald was such a Renaissance woman? I of course loved her teenage movies, as I was the same age that time. As a matter of fact, I remember writing about "Pretty In Pink" for a major writing assignment when I was a Freshman in college (and remember getting a good grade, too!) I also raved about her book of short stories , but I was astounded to find that she has done a jazz vocals album, titled "Except Sometimes." That's right up my alley, of course, and the album is fantastic. Heartfelt interpretations make up for a somewhat colorless voice. Couple that with an inspired repertoire and you get this little recording that would, and could. It's like a curious piece that adds character to a collection. I love her song choices, from Stephen Sondheim(!) to Frank Loesser to Lionel Bart. You can feel her affinity for these songs, you know she has lived the life of these lyrics. I love her sly recitations on "The Very Thought Of You," her hopeful melancholy in "Where Is Love," her vamp in "Sooner Or Later." My favorite track is "Ballad Of Sad Young Men," where she plays particular attention to Fran Landesman's subtle lyrics. I can imagine now a torch songstress role for Ringwald, or perhaps a role on Broadway? Really, what we get in this collection is not just a singer, but a singing actress. Good golly, Miss Molly.

No comments:

Post a Comment