Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Immortal Immortelle (Perfume Review: Annick Goutal Sables)





I remember and know the flower Imortelle pretty well. In the olden days, I see them being sold as garlands outside churches for people to put them around the necks of the saints they have on their altars. I was always intimidated by them - the garlands look like caterpillars, and I always thought the flowers - or how they were garlandized - looked a little bit like caterpillars. The smell was pretty pungent and spicy. It took a little bit of time for me to reconcile the fact that Annick Goutal's Sables highlights immortelle. I take a wild sniff o fit, and yes, memories come back. But Sables , of course is more sophisticated, and it is blended well with other notes. Created by Annick Goutal for her cellist husband, it was meant to capture a summer they spent in Corsica. I have never been to Corsica, but the place probably smells like immortelle, herbs, and sandalwood. Thje sandalwood here is an earthy one (mysore, I think) and the herbs are mostly curry sumin. I remember a time when I used to be deathly afraid of cumin, but I have learned to appreciate it more no, especially here where, combined with pepper,  it gives weight to immortelle. Sables is strong, but it doesn't overpower.  It gives an "enveloping" vibe - kind of like a brown halo. There's a sweetness underneath that is reminiscent of maple syrup but that just gives it balance. It's perfect for a cold, cold day - it's a polar vortex kind of scent. For some reason, it reminds me of Hermes Bel Ami (though Bel Ami has a lot more leather) and this scent makes me think of something a distinguished man would wear. I knwo it has a lot of female fans, but I just can't see one wearing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment