Friday, August 24, 2012

When An Angel Sings (Music Review: David Archuleta, Begin)

So sue me, I like David Archuleta. I think he has a very unique voice - fragile and expressive, and there is a certain huskiness there that makes what he sings earthy when he gets too saccharine (and usually he does take that route). On paper, "Begin" could be a little bit too much: he says that these are the songs that best describes his decision to go on a two-year service  in Chile for The Church Of Latter Day Saints. So you get "inspirational" songs like Christina Aguilera's "Believe" and Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water," among others. But Archuleta has such an appealing voice that whatever he lacks in interpretational depth, he compensates with beautiful vocal renditions. I was totally with him in Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know," a song so great each cover I hear of it works. And when he croons his soulful soprano on Sarah McLachlan's "Angel," you do feel that you are somewhere up there with those virginal wings. Even his almost lamentful "Everybody Hurts" packs some kind of punch. I thought some songs were too bland to be saved, like "True Colors," and "Broken." I get a strange feeling that he had different intentions in his personal meanings, and my take on how to appreciate his decisions come from a different place. This is a great aural collection, and I just hope he comes out of his missions with braver attempts in his music. (I cross my fingers)

No comments:

Post a Comment