Tuesday, June 16, 2015

I See London Three Times (Book Thoughts: London Triptych, Jonathan Kemp)

"London Triptych," by Jonathan Kemp is my kind of book. It tells three subtly interwoven stories of male prostitutes from three generations: the 1890s, the 1950s, and the 1990s. These men are not shy about their sexual desires, and that could make for some fidgety reading from some circles. But it tells a certain kind of truth that may not exist anymore. These are from generations of men where there is still shame in what they desire, and nowadays in the age of marriage equality it may be good to look at where we came from, before we enjoy the freedom that we have today. These are quite compelling stories, based on historical facts - I couldn't stop reading once I started the book. I was happy to read about London (my favorite European city) as seen through the eyes of these men from three different moments in history. Lastly,  these are all stories of unrequited love - I am sure all of us will be able to relate to the ache, the euphoria, and the craziness which that entails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment