Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Smash Episode 5 - Let's Misbehave


I have mixed emotions about Episode 5. For me, it's another one of those "exposition" episodes where things are getting set up. But, didn't we just have one of those? When are all the dramatic payoffs happening? Or maybe the payoffs aren't as good as I expect them to be? And I really don't know what they are doing to the Megan Hilty's Ivy character. Yes, I do understand the insecurity and the passive aggressive diva thing, but in this episode it's more aggressive than passive lately, and they are trying to create a villain out of her. I liked it more when she was a real, three-dimensional character. And next week's episode hint that she may be going through a pill-abuse situation, which, come to think of it, was Marilyn's situation as well, so they may be doing a parallelism kind of thing, and I don't know how I feel about that. But then again, that's just a hunch. And speaking of other hunches, I feel like they are also setting up something between Tom and the black chorus boy who likes basketball (Chorus buy into basketball? Doesn't exist) so at least the gays may have a love triangle to look forward to. And Kat McPhee - she showed such promise, but her character is so all over the place that she probably doesn't know what to do with it either. Is she a Midwestern hick? Then her being sassy at the Intrepid last night seemed so out of character. I have said from the very beginning that I liked the Deb Messing love story line, and that went front and center last night, and I kind of liked it, though it felt kind of funny to see art imitating life. You can see that there was mad chemistry between them personally. Oh, and the scene from the show they are creating? I loved the number - well choreographed, fantastically sung. I wished that I liked the song, but it could grow on me. With each episode, though, it is becoming more and more evident that Ivy is better for the role than Karen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment