Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wonderworth

Ali Wentworth's memoir "Ali In Wonderland" has the most wonderful book cover. It's fun, it's kind of retro, it's very "American." Her book is a lot of those things, filled with fun stories,  essays strung out in a random fashion, humorous and very appealing.  She tells stories from her childhood, about her life as a struggling actress in Los Angeles, about living in Washington DC, motherhood tales. They are all laced with a humor, that you really can't discern whether the stories are exaggerations, or accurate. I guess it really does not matter, this is not a warts-and-all kind of book in the dramatic sense, but something more suited to the "Humor" section at Barnes And Noble (As opposed to "Biography")  I wish I liked it more, though. I don't know if as a person, I even like her. She is one of those spoiled and rich women, your typical Republican. (She praises Nixon and takes a dig at Obama) I have nothing personally against her, but based on this book, I really don't think I have a lot of things in common with her. Obviously, though, she connects with a lot of people, as this book is on The New York Times Bestseller list. It's a quick, fun read, and if you like Ms. Wentworth, you will find a lot of things to like about her stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment