Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Zing, Jason Zings!

Pop stars singing standards? It's almost a predictable trajectory, almost everyone has done it.  There are so many out there that I am so jaded - very few impress me. Even Sir Paul McCartney's standard failed to make an impression for me. So when I saw Jason Donovan's similarly-themed album, "Sign Of Your Love," I was kinda rolling my eyes. I really am not even a big fan of his pop songs, although I did like his SAW duets with Kylie. Plus, I was not a big fan of his foray into West End via Joseph. But I did like this album. The arrangements are fun, they are bright and fun, and he seemed to be having fun with the material, not treating it too seriously, and not handling them like museum pieces. I love that he seems to really connect to the material. For example, he is zippy and joyous singing "Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart," and has the same mirth as Judy Garland. And not a lot of people do Peggy Lee's "Bewitched" (yes, from the situation comedy) and Peggyphile that I am, I was so happy hearing someone else do that song, in a modern arrangement. Actually, that's the one great thing about this album - it sounds very "today." I was even digging the original songs. I am welcoming these songs for my playlists, his dreams will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment