Saturday, September 1, 2012

Back At The Campus (Book Review: The Fall, Ryan Quinn)

It's the first day of September, and most if not all students have gone back to school. I guess it is appropriate that the first book I finished is Ryan Quinn's "The Fall,"  a book that has gotten a lot of favorable buzz and is being supported by Amazon. I had high expectations for this book, but sad to say, it wasn't met. But I also must say that this is not the worst book in the world. It is well written, and is certainly modern. My problem is, I wish I liked the characters more. For the most part, I found them to be mostly insufferable creatures with impossible sense of entitlements. There's Haile, who moves to a rural college because she can't handle the stress of Juilliard. There's Ian, a young gay man who breaks another man's heart. Casey fares best among the three of them, because he is the least pretentious. Quinn spreads himself too thin with three interlocking major storylines that perhaps we are not given enough time to fully understand the main characters. While the story is fast paced, I found myself thinking it almost a chore to go back to the book, and I thought this would be a much quicker read. Or perhaps I am much too old for this book and I cannot relate anymore. 

BC-71

No comments:

Post a Comment