Friday, September 7, 2012

Almighty Iris (Scent Review: Dior Homme)

When Hedi Slimane was still at Dior in 2005, he created Dior Homme, and to this day, I think it is the best of modern non-niche men's scents. Although, frankly, I know of a lot of women who love this scent as well. I have found that I have a lot of iris-based scents, but I always find myself always reaching out for Dior Homme. It is such a modern classic, and I am always scared that it will be discontinued. I have this mad sense of hoarding it. Last year, I got a second bottle, a 100 ml one, and I recently just opened it. I think it is the reformulated version, and though I have not compared it from an original bottle, I have not sensed a difference. It still opens with that beautiful iris. It is still as rich, and subtle, and buttery, slightly bitter, almost paper-like. I cannot get enough of it. It's a cold scent, but it's not sterile. It speaks of an elegant language. It is like a flower, but it is not a loud or screechy floral. There are small hints of vetiver and patchouli, but the iris never feels rounded by them. On my skin, the iris stays for a long, long time, until the eventual drydown, where there's a hint of leather, and some lavander, and the iris gets sweeter and sweeter. The sillage is fantastic, and I am always spray liberally anyway, because I always love smelling myself throughout the day. I have always been curious about Dior Homme Intense, and wonder if any of the notes (besides Iris) is amped up. I would love, for example, of a leathered version of this, similar to what Dior did with the Eau Savage Cuir. But good ol' plain Dior Homme always makes me happy, anyway. I'll wear it for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment