Tuesday, September 18, 2012

You Can't Rush Blackberries (Scent Review: Jo Malone Blackberry And Bay)

We were at Nordstrom's the other night and there was the new Jo Malone "Blackberry and Bay."  I was raring to try it, of course. Jo Malone describes it as "The Scent Of Innocence," and the copy is "Inspired by the memory of blackberry picking, stained lips, sticky palms. blending with the freshness of just-gathered bay and brambly woods." Well, my childhood memories really did not include blackberry picking (Mine was more tropical-themed) but I'll play along, why not. The scent opens with a big bright blackberry - ripe, full sweet, and very very big. I didn't mind it at all, it was refreshing and full-bodied, there was a boozy accord to kind of keep things rounded, but on me, there was very little bay. I was waiting for it to add a bit of tartness, but the blackberry, as big as it was, just got bigger and bigger, and the drydown is this hyper blackberry that just sat there. I mean, it's nice and very sweet on my skin, but I just wish there were more development. It is reminiscent of my other favorite blackberry scent, Lalique's Amethyst, but that had a little musk and aldehydes which made it more elegant. Blackberry And Bay is more down to earth, for sure, and frankly has better quality and longevity than Amethyst. I like it, but I am not raring to have it. If I find a cheap discounted version, I'll take one, but I won't rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment