Saturday, September 28, 2013

It's Summer, Gurl! (Book Review: The Summer Girls, Mary Alice Monroe)

Where did the summer go? Here I am, on the first weekend of Autumn, and I am just writing about a summer book. And technically, I still read it during summertime, too. I am desperately behind on my reading goal for the year: I am eighteen books behind, as a mater of fact, and at this point, I don't know if I will ever recover. 

"The Summer Girls," by Mary Alice Monrow, is about a group of three cousins reuniting in Sea Breeze, South Carolina for their grandmother's birthday. Of course, each one has a story of their own, but this book mainly focuses on Carson. She arrives from California, after starring on a failed television show. When I finished the book, I thought all the other character were short-shifted, but then I read later on  that this book is a first of a trilogy.

Anyway, Carson loves the ocean, and falls for a man who studies and takes care of dolphins. And Carson has a story line with a dolphin as well. At first, I was kind of taken aback by the story line including a dolphin, but after finishing the book. I was glad to read about our mammal friends, and felt enlightened by the lessons in this book. It wasn't what I signed for, but I was glad nonetheless. Aside from that the other narrative in the book felt a little hollow, but nothing too bad that you regret reading the book. I can;t say I will be rushing to get the second and third parts of the trilogy, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment