Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Producer (Book Review: Showbiz by Ruby Preston)

I am a big Broadway fan so I was very eager to read "Showbiz," by Ruby Preston. My friend Melissa Amster from Chick Lit Central recommended me to the author for a review of the book, because she knows of my affinity for The Great White Way. I started reading it, without knowing anything about it besides its setting. I had initially thought it would be some kind of modern romance novel, but it is more a light mystery. No big deal - Preston is good at keeping the action going with short chapters and quick pacing. It is a short read, but a lot of things happen. However, some of the plot do not fully work. I had to suspend a lot of my disbelief for a lot of plot twists, but that is not a big deal - this isn't investigative reporting. Even though the characters are likable enough, they were just a hairline away from being two-dimensional. A couple of them change motivations too quickly, and we do not really have an idea why. It did give me a glimpse as to what producing for Broadway was like. As a fan, I don't really know too much from the production side. "Showbiz" is a fun beach/pool read, and you don't even have to be a fan of theater to enjoy it. 

BC-46

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the insight. Glad I could give you the hook up this time. :)

    ReplyDelete