Sunday, May 6, 2012

You Love Who You Love

Anna Paquin was just talking about bisexuality the other day in an article. In explaining it, she says:

“I’m someone who believes being bisexual is actually a thing,” she said to Zooey magazine, as reported in Hollywood Life. “It’s not made up. It’s not a lack of decision. It’s not being greedy or numerous other ignorant things I’ve heard at this point. … For a bisexual, it’s not about gender. That’s not the deciding factor for who they’re attracted to.”

I  don't know why there are people who have problems about it. I do think it exists, although I also think it is easier for women to be bisexual because for one, they are more in touch with their feelings, and also, women are typically the one who is "pursued." So I carry those thoughts with me as I read Alex Sanchez's "Boyfriends With Girlfriends," a YA novel about four high school kids: one is gay, one is a lesbian, one is a self-admitted bisexual, and the last one is a straight girl who finds herself attracted to the lesbian. I know my description made it sound more confusing,  but it really is just a simple story about kids dealing with their sexualities and just trying to accept them amidst the usual youth issues of acceptance, peer pressure, and parental restrictions. I thought it was a great story, and it has a great message for its young adult audience. As an older fuddy duddy, I can't help but feel a little enlightened by how today's youth is so unencumbered by sexuality. My generation is certainly more restricting. I find it more and more that for a lot of younger people, sexuality is a fluid thing - what matters most for them is attraction and chemistry. Although the "wise" in me sometimes rolled my eyes at how these kids reacted to situations, I had to keep in mind that these are kids, and their emotional IQs are probably still on its way to maturity. 

BC-40

No comments:

Post a Comment