Sunday, January 26, 2014

Oops I Did It Again (Television Review: Looking Episode 2: Looking For Uncut)



After tonight's episode of "Looking," I think I am going to adjust what I expect from this show.  I don't think "Looking" will be less a plot-driven show and more a character-driven one. I think and hope we will get to now these characters better and fully without necessarily seeing them have "stories," besides living life, the gay life, and specifically the gay life of younger people in San Francisco. Jonathan Groff is still the adorable loser, naive and still looking for himself. That is fine and good, but maybe just a tad too twee in this day and age. If he wasn't so adorable in the role, I don't know if I would like the character as much as I do. And I did like the sweet awkward touch of his first date with Richie (Raul Castillo, just as adorable) which is really what first dates normally are. Yet again, his loquaciousness brings him trouble, and I hope he doesn't become the bumbling adorkable gay version of Zoe Deschanel. We also get to learn a little bit more about Dominic - how he substitutes random Gridr hookups for love, and how he was hurt be his meth addicted ex. I am still trying to see what's beneath the surface there. Agustin is still a character-in-progress. He moved in with his boyfriend and adjusting to his new life. The one thing I note between the three of them is that they have very good chemistry together. You believe they are friends that have gone through a lot together. There were two great jokes that I loved: when Dominic's Grindr trick (Broadway's Andrew Keenan Bolger) starting singing "Defying Gravity" in the shower, and Doris (Laura Weedman, I want more of her) quipped "Did you fuck someone from the touring company of Wicked, and also at the very last scene when Patrick tells Arturo that he was eating a kale salad instead of mac and cheese.   I like this second episode much better - it's looser, and has a little more to say than last week's pilot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment