Sunday, September 25, 2011

Just Jacob (Movie Thoughts: Abduction)


I don't know what compelled me to see "Abduction" at the movies. It really isn't my kind of movie, yet I was drawn into it for whatever reason. The word of mouth has been brutal, but, truly, it isn't that bad. I mean, it's not good at all, but it is somewhat entertaining if you are into that kind of thing. This movie was clearly built around Taylor Lautner (I saw his father's name as one of the Producers) and one would ask, is he ready for it. Physically, he is. He does a lot of the stunts himself, and I was kind of impressed. But his acting, oh my goodness. To call it "wooden" would give disservice to wood. He has the personality of a cardboard, and that voice - whenever he says something, a pearl somewhere in the ocean dies. As such, a lot of the already laughable plot becomes more comedic, and I don't really think it was meant that way. Perhaps that's why he was paired with Lily Collins (Phil's son, if you want to feel old) whose personality is even more cardboard than Lautner's. John Singleton keeps the movie spinning, and a semblance of suspense fuels the last fourth of the movie. But truly, it is nothing you have not seen before. Team Jacob fans will eat this up, I guess, but in terms of depth, Team Edward wins by a mile, as evidenced by Pattinson's better film role choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment