Friday, August 2, 2013

Bullied (Book Review: Keep Holding On, Susane Colasanti)

Since it's summer, I thought I would read things that are more "fun," and I saw this book, looked at the cover, and started it. Well, I really should start reading blurns and synopses because despite its almost "cheery" cover, this was one depressing book. Noelle is in High School, but she is a victim of incessant bullying, mostly because she is poor. She eats mayo and mustard sandwiches and kids make fun of her for it. Her mother isn't helping with matters - she is mentally abusive to her daughter. So what's a girl to do? This book has a specific purpose, and it's a good one: it gives hope to a lot of bullied kids, and if it reaches even one kid who is suffering, then it would have served a great service. But don't get me wrong, it was a downer. Things don't even look up until the last twenty percent of the book. To its credit the book speeds along and though the characters could be a little more three dimensional. I applaud this book more than I enjoyed it. 

BC-53

No comments:

Post a Comment