Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Here We Are, As In Olden Days (Music Review: Michael Feinstein, A Michael Feinstein Christmas)


It's that time of the year again.  Each year, I always make my first Christmas disc review a special. And this year, it doesn't get more special than "A Michael Feinstein Christmas." Feinstein is one of my favorite singers of all-time, and even though I sometimes think his past couple of releases have been uninspired, I still listen, and listen intently. This disc is one half of a two-disc release that was sold through QVC a couple of years ago, and it is worthy because this is its first commercial release. It's a doozy, one of the best Christmas music releases in recent years. Feinstein was the artist who got me seriously interested in exploring The Great American Songbook, and he will always remind me of a more innocent me. From the first here, he captures how, for me, Holiday music should be sung: with sensitivity, emotional intelligence, a whole lotta dose of melancholy. I cannot think of any other singer who can inject pathos into something like "Sleigh Ride," or "Winter Wonderland." And his lyrical interpretation is second to none: listen to the lesser known verse in "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town,? and relish in its joy.  When he tears into the Christmas ballad, he is tops. Even well-worn chestnuts like "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," and "I'll Be Home For Christmas" sound brand spanking new sung by him. I love how "Home For The Holidays," a normally somewhat cheerful song sounds wistful here, and his piano intro sets the mood spectacularly. I don't mean to make this disc sound like a slit-your-wrist affair. On the contrary, I think it's hopeful yet contemplative, joyous but inciting reminiscence. Just like the Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment