Saturday, October 18, 2014

It Happened In Manhattan (Television Review: Manhattan Love Story)

There is a small trend of rom-com sitcoms this Fall season, and that's a good thing, right? The genre is right up my alley, so I will be watching. First up is "Manhattan Love Story," on ABC. The good thing about DVRing shows is that I no loner need to know when these shows are on. Also, I can watch these episodes right after the other, instead of making appointments to watch them. I have just seen the first three episodes of "Manhattan Love Story," and to be honest, I don't know if I would have kept watching after the first episode if these weren't recorded automatically for me. The pilot is cute enough, but too cute, even for me. Dana (Analeigh Tipton) has just moved to her dream job in New York (working for a publishing company) and she is set up on a blind date with Peter (Jake McDorman) and well, we are supposed to believe that they are meant for reach other. I guess every week we will be encountered with obstacles, and they will persevere. (On the second episode, she catches him on another date, on the third she retaliates by dating another guy, only to realize that guy is gay)  It really is not a bad premise, but my main problem with this is that the chemistry between the two main characters isn't sizzling. It's not a dead end, for sure, and I do see it simmer a little bit better with each episode. Its main gimmick: the Mars vs. Venus thing, seems a bit dated and that concept has been served better earlier this summer in "You're The Worst." on F/X. But the show definitely picked up steam in the next two episodes, and I am glad I gave it a chance, for it has the potential to get really good. So I will keep on watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment