Thursday, August 7, 2014

Cathcing A Pitch (Music Review: Nancy Monroe, The Love Within)

New York City is full of aspiring singers and Nancy Monroe is one of them.  Her album, "the Love Within" fell on my lap and the first thing I thought was, why did she choose a blurred picture for the cover of her album? But don't judge a book by its cover right? Monroe has a flexible voice, style-wise, but she more or less puts them on a jazz setting. To my ears, she seems off-pitch, but that's not really a problem for me if a singer knows a way around a song. Sadly, though, she doesn't. I don't understand the too-cozy arrangement she has in "Summer Me, Winter Me," for example, as it is a song with a lot of angst, and she bypasses that aspect of the song to focus on a bossa beat that's out of nowhere. The tempo is more appropriate in "Without A Song" but when she does her jazz riffs here, the deficiencies in her pitch gets highlighted, and it's unpleasant. I found it straining to listen to her voice after a couple of songs, and the original songs here don't help them. I just wise up and turned it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment