Thursday, August 28, 2014

Before The Me Before (Book Review: Me Before You, Jojo Moyes)

I expected to love Jojo Moyes' "me Before You" because I have read so many good reviews about it. And now that I have finished reading it, I understand and get why it shot through the hearts of so many people. I wish I could say I fell head over heels in love with it because to be honest, I didn't. I also did not dislike it - there are a lot of it I truly liked. But, I somehow felt that a big chunk of it is calculated and manipulated to get exactly the reaction it wanted to get. I felt the characters were not fleshed out as best as it could have been. And, there were lapses in the middle that I found boring, so much so I stopped reading it and made myself finish it. (Though I must say the last quarter of the book is quite compelling) But maybe it just isn't what I wanted to read right now - a great lot of bad news all over the world, and perhaps my mood is wanting a little cheerier. I kind of want to tell it: it's not you, it's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment