Thursday, December 5, 2013

And My Heart Is Frozen (Movie Review, Frozen)


So I was a skeptic coming in to "Frozen." I had heard a lot of great things about it. Some people even claim it's the Disney animated movie since "The Beauty And The Beast."  But, I just don't really do animated movies. It's just a personal thing - I don't enjoy watching them. But, I said, why not see this - it promises a nice Broadway musical experience, and there are enough Broadway thespians in the cast. I even sprung for the 3D version. But when I got to the theater, I felt really funny. It kind of looked suspicious, actually. What is this middle-aged man doing seeing this movie alone, amidst all the little girls in the audience? I felt like a pedophile. i was so thankful when the lights finally went down and the movie started. The music swelled, and I was in heaven. Bobby and Kristen Lopez have crafted some marvellous songs, and both Idina Menzel and Jonathan Groff sounds glorious. the story, an adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's "the Snow Queen" is compelling enough. But as the song from "A Chorus Line" goes., I felt...nothing. I had no attachment to any of the characters. i wanted something more - a fuller love story, someone to root for, someone to dislike. The ending seemed tacked on. And oh, that annoying snow man really got on my nerves after a while. And now I feel kind of bad, and think I may really have a severe disorder. What was it that made me not love this movie?  Could it go back to my predisposed dislike of animation? Should I seek professional help? I should have just gotten the recording and listened to the score.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you said it so I didn't have to!!! I loved the music and can't stop singing "Let it Go." I got a little teary-eyed in the beginning, but then I was just like "okay, this is cute, but a bit surreal." The snowman annoyed me to no end. His song was lame too. It's definitely not just you. And if you lived out here, we'd be going to these movies together. (Or you could just come with me and the kids and be their cool uncle Leonel.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, maybe we were looking for a lot more romance. I remember loving the duet between Anna and the other Prince (Santino Fontana, from Broadway Cinderella) and I was kind of rooting for both of them...and well, we both know what happened to them in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pleasant time for anybody who sees this, even the parents themselves. Good review Leonel.

    ReplyDelete