Wednesday, December 4, 2013

South In the City (Book Review: Tinsley Mortimer, Southern Charm)


I had to look up who Tinsley Mortimer was after reading her book, "Southern Charm."  I knew she was some kind of socialite, but never really paid much more attention to her. On Wikipedia her entry seems to be very similar to the plot of the book, so I don't know if she wants people to think that this book a thinly-veiled autobiography of her life. I have to say it starts out well, but very quickly I started to find a lot of things I didn't like about the book. The character felt a little too much to be believed. First of all, if she was really well-off (I mean, she didn't take the subway!) why would toil at a PR firm. Also, there were small details that bothered me. For example, one scene the main character starts teh day holding the NYT and Post, and then hours after, she has her cab stop to get the Post. And, later on, the character starts acting like a spoiled entitled brat. But I gotta say, the book kept me interested till the last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment