Thursday, October 23, 2014

Where The Wind Comes Sweeping Down The Plain (Book Review: A Map Of Tulsa, Benjamin Lytal)

When I saw that Benjamin Lytal's novel "A Map Of Tulsa" was compared to Michael Chabon's "A Map Of Tulsa," I speed tracked the book to the top of my TBR pile. The novel tells the story of Jim Praley, as he goes home to Tu;sa from his first year of college. he gets smitten by Adrienne Booker, who is a descendant of a prominent rich family in town, and proceeds to have a summer fling with her. But she is some sort of a free soul, and while he doesn't forget about her, they go their separate ways. Years later, he comes back to town, because of a tragedy, and has to face his feelings for her. I wanted to like this book so much, and gave it several chances. But it just never caught my attention. I never believed the two of them together, and didn't really care what happened to both of them. While I appreciated the writing style, which was more observant than narrative, I felt it slowed the book a lot. But it did give me a sense of life in Tulsa, a place I have never been, and have no plans on visiting soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment