Sunday, January 25, 2015

Horny Harry (Movie Review: Horns)

I don't really venture into supernatural type of horror thrillers but "Horns" stars Daniel Radcliffe, a young actor whose choices I admire, so when this movie became available via Netflix, I streamed it. This movie tells the story of Iggy, a young man accused of killing his childhood sweetheart. But he claims innocence, and one day, he started growing horns - literally. But what he soon discovers is that these horns gives him the power of having whomever he encounters confess their innermost secrets whenever they speak to him. So he uses this power to track his girlfriend's real killer. Along the way, there are weird things that happen, and the biblical references become a little too heavy handed thereby spoiling the whole thing for me. Plus, the mystery part seemed obvious after a while, Visually, this film will catch your attention, from the picturesque cinematography showing the beauty of the Pacific Northwest, to the lurid special effects that grossed me out. And Radcliffe is game, and for the most part makes you believe everything that's happening around him. In the end, I couldn't figure out if I enjoyed the movie or not. This isn't the kind of movie that makes me feel good, and I am conflicted if I had just wasted the last two hours of my life. But, I have to admit that it kept me very interested, and felt there was never a dull moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment