Monday, January 5, 2015

A Deeper Love (Movie Review: Pride)

In September, when I was in London, the movie theater around the corner from my hotel was showing the movie "Pride," and I remember passing by it, looking at the huge poster and wondering if it was a gay movie. Then I read a rave about it somewhere, and realized that it was a movie with gay content, so I made a mental note to try and catch it somewhere. I missed it, but the movie has been in my radar sine and when it finally came out on video, I instantly put it on my Netflix queue. What a great uplifting feel-good movie this is. The story is set during the miner's strike during the Thatcher years in the UK when gay and lesbian groups banded with the miners because they empathized with their plight. Miners and gays would seem like an odd couple, and yes they are, but the film shows that even the most mismatched people can find common ground and band together. Director Matthew Marchus (who directed the stage version of 'Matilda') weaves personal stories with seamlessness that you instantly connect with all the characters on both sides. There's great performances everywhere, but for me Imelda Staunton and Bill Nighy stand out among the vets.  So yes, at times, the proceedings become a tad predictable and you can see the resolutions a mile away, but you won't be able to recognize the big open heart tha lies inside this movie. Rent it, stream it, however you watch it, just do.

No comments:

Post a Comment