Friday, June 22, 2012

Love Down Under (Book Review: All Expenses Paid by Heidi Champa)

Halfway through reading Heidi Champa's "All Expenses Paid," I realized the thing that had been bothering me about the novel: the main character,  was too feminine. Not in the physical sense - he wasn't acting "fey" or anything like that. But, his thoughts and actions were too, for lack of a better word, feminized, and it seemed inauthentic to me. A gay man is still, for all intents and purposes, still a man,  and Davis' actions, in my opinion, do not reflect being one. That being said, though, "All Expenses Paid" is enjoyable enough if you don't take it too seriously. The set up is hokey, and I wish the "travelogue" aspect of it was more detailed and personal (Fodor's gives more insight. I mean, I know that wasn't the novel's point, but still...) This is one of those fluff beach reads, though at times it felt like too much fluff for even me. (Imagine that!) It did make me want to visit Australia, though, and I may have to do that soon. 

BC-52

No comments:

Post a Comment