Saturday, July 28, 2012

Disregarding Henry (Film Review: Jesus Henry Christ)

Sometimes you are watching a film, and you just think to yourself, "Let me out of this misery!" That was what I was thinking when I was watching "Henry Jesus Christ." Directed by Daniel Lee, this movie tries hard - and sometimes very hard - to be 'quirky,' but it just ends up being a hot mess. It wants to be a black comedy, but it isn't witty enough to be one. A stellar cast - Toni Colette and Michael Sheen - works overtime for it to be something, but it is devoid of anything that they become victims of is inanity. I don't know why, but there's something about Toni Colette that doesn't sit well with me - too mannered? too self effacing? a self-realization that is a little too obvious? I find that in her other work as well, and maybe it is just a personal taste thing with me, as I know there are a lot of fans of her work. Jason Spevack, playing her genius 12 year old son is okay, though I did not really sense any full commitment from his performance. He has a lazy smile that bothered me. Maybe I was just not in the proper mood for this film, but I really did feel it was a waste of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment