Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Give Me Scotch

They say you can't judge a book from its cover, but can you judge it from its title? This one is called "Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So-Slightly Intact," and yes it's a mouthful. It also tells the story, leaving out any element of surprise. That's fine in itself if the characters have a distinct voice that it keeps you interested. Unfortunately, this one doesn't. About sixty percent in, I mentally checked out of the book even as I kept on reading. I basically gave up on the characters: they were uninteresting, unlikeable, and I didn't care one way or another about what happened to them. Thankfully, it's a short read, as I think I will reward myself with some scotch to ease off my disappointment. 

BC-36

No comments:

Post a Comment