Saturday, April 28, 2012

Smelled For The Very First Time

Katie Puckrick interviewed Stephen Nilsen,   who is the nose behind Madonna's scent "Truth Or Dare," and it gave great insight on how Madonna created her first perfume. I had heard that Madonna was a scent lover, and that may be one of the reasons why she will be forever close to my heart. I also know that she loves white florals, and she has been vocal about her adoration of Fracas, that big bold tuberose monster. (In her brother's memoir, he writes that she also douses herself with Anick Goutal's gardenia Passion) Alas, I expected her perfume to be something, mostly tuberose, and, well, it is. A lot of people are saying that it is a Frasca knockoff, but I don't think it is. It's much lighter, and less in-your-face. Truth or Dare is also more commercial, more accessible. The top is a tuberose-gardenia-jasmine mixture, and to me pretty well blended that not one note stands out. Then that "addiction" accord comes out - a mixture of caramel, benzoine, musk - and here is where it makes or breaks for you. It reminded me a bit of Prada Candy, and also Burberry Sport. On me, it ventured into the synthetic, but I kind of like it. It reminded me of the plastic balloons I used to play with when I was younger. I have worn Truth Or Dare a couple of times since I bought a bottle, and each time, there is a layer I discover about it. There was a time where the jasmine was more prominent (it was a rainy day) and a couple of days ago, the tuberose/musk combo came out, and it was kind of lovely. Maybe I am just projecting as I am a Madonna fan, but as far as celebuscents go, this one, for me, is a winner. I hear it call my name and it feels like home. 

  Anyway, love this queeny review of it: 

No comments:

Post a Comment