Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Blackberry In Winter (Scent Review: Lalique Amethyst)

I wanted to feel better today, so when I was trying to scent myself this morning, I wanted something that would bring a smile to my face. Then I saw Lalique Amethyst, which I realize I really haven't worn in a long while.  I thought it would be a perfect winter scent as well, I am sure the musk will help the blackberry bloom. The opening - a gorgeous burst of blackberry currants - is one of the best fruit bursts in perfume. I dare say it is even better than L'Artisan Mure et Musc, which, to me , feels a bit frail. This berrylicious opening is alive, it's sweet but not too sweet. Jo Malone's Blackberry and Bay is sweeter, and fuller, and more "natural smelling" but there's is one thing in Amethyst that I like : it's the musk. It grounds it, it rounds it,, it frames it. I wish the drydown here would be more imaginative - a red woods mix here smells kind of generic, and I also wish this had more longevity. At four hours, it just trails. But Amethyst is such a cheap find - I think I got my 100ml for less than thirty dollars a while back that I can't much complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment