Monday, January 28, 2013

The Hotel (Book Review: Heads In Beds, Jacob Tomsky)

I like hotels, and feel comfortable in them. I like the luxury, the decadence, the possibilities they offer. So I was very interested in reading "Heads In Beds," bu Jacob Tomsky, which is described as " a reckless memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality."  That's a mouthy description, and I had hoped that the book would live up to it. It did, and it is partly because the book is well-written. Mr. Tomsky definitely has his own voice, and it comes across as raunchy, arrogant, but very readable. He peppers his chapters with "tips" on how to have a better hotel experience, but for me anyway, they offered nothing new. Yeah, of course, a $20.00 bill given to the front desk person would give you a better room, but maybe not, too. He speaks from his own point of view, and other front desk clerks may or may not agree with him. I was more entertained when he told stories of guests - he writes about them vividly that I felt that I got to know them, too. I wish he had written about how he transitioned from working in the hotel industry to writing, or I may have missed it, but I wonder if he still works at a hotel.  This was a good quick read: it definitely kept my attention, and finished it in a couple of hours. 

BC - 6

No comments:

Post a Comment