Thursday, January 3, 2013

I Read London, I Read France (Book Review: Finding Monsieur Right, Muriel Zagha)

I don't know what possessed me to start reading "Finding Monsieur Right," but here we are, and it is my first book for 2013. (I am doing another one hundred books read for the year challenge , by the way)  Muriel Zagha's book isn't the most original in the world: it's one of those swap-life ones between two young ladies, one from Paris, and the other in London. I can't remember the last time I read one, or if I have ever read one at all. Maybe the idea of me having read one just sounds familiar. But this one is pretty much by-the-book. Yes, it is predictable, and yes, some plot points can be seen a mile away. I enjoyed it for another reason altogether: the book read and sounded very British. I am a self-confessed Anglophile, and I loved that the book (or the version I read, anyway) sounded very Continental. There were colloquial British terms I picked up ("niggle," "tetchy," "afeard" ) and I loved stopping, and familiarizing myself with them. I have read British books that have sounded "Americanized," because American editors fear that Stateside readers will not relate, but I loved the challenge. Plus, I love the European feel of the stories. Some kind of did not make sense here, and stylistically, there was a full British "stiff upper lip"  vibe.  They just made me like the book more. So yes, I totally dug the book, and I think it is a great start to a new year of reading.

BC-1

No comments:

Post a Comment