Wednesday, December 7, 2011

C & M


I am trying to get in the Christmas swing of things even in my reading, so I have been trying to get into some Christmas-themed stories. I found a sweet one in "Colin And Martin's First Christmas," and I love that it features two imperfect people who found each other just before Christmas. Colin is a grocery delivery boy and Martin is one of his customers. It sounds a bit trite, but there's a little twist: Martin is older and blind, and Colin is young and handsome. So, basically it's a fantasy but who can resist a Christmas fairy tale? There's a simplicity in the writing that's a breath of fresh air, and I fell in love with the characters. The book must have been successful because a sequel came out, "Colin and Martin's London Christmas," wherein we get to read about the couple five years after. This one isn't as good as the first one. They get put into a mindless conflict, and then there's a travelogue sub-plot that seemed unnecessary. But, both stories made are cute and pretty harmless. In the hustle and bustle of the season, sometimes that's all we need.  


BC 47-48

No comments:

Post a Comment