Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hugh Make Me Crazy


Sometimes you see a show and think. "I am so fortunate to be here, to be seeing this show tonight," and that is exactly how I felt watching "Hugh Jackman Back On Broadway."  I felt like it was one of this historic moments that happens a couple of times in a lifetime when you chance upon a real honest-to-goodness entertainer. Some people compare his shows to those of Frank Sinatra, Nora Aunor, and Judy Garland, and I think they are right - Hugh Jackman is the real deal. He is a showman of the first caliber. Technically, though, he doesn't seem to fit the bill - his voice could be nasal, his dancing is good. But put them all together, he creates magic. And he has a blinding stage presence, with star wattage that could light four Broadway houses. And he connects with the audience wonderfully, reaching every one from the front row to the very back of the rear mezzannine. His show is a "Greatest Hits" one in concept, but I always felt each number so fresh, as if I were seeing for the first time. My most favorite one was  "Soliloquy" from Carousel, where he showed that above all his musical talents, he was also a brilliant actor, transforming into Billy Bigelow right before my eyes. Later on, he transformed into Peter Allen, gaming a gold lame disco outfit. I could go on and on, but I really just felt very lucky that in my lifetime I was able to see this show, and years from now I could say I was there. Some people say that the glitz of the show makes it more suitable for Las Vegas, and I could only laugh at the irony of that. I truly wish someone records the show so all the world can see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment