Friday, December 23, 2011

Songs On A Winter Solstice


I was looking for something to play while celebrating the longest night of the year when I chanced upon this Holiday EP by Ingrid Michaelson, whom I have never heard before. Apparently, she is a New York based singer/songwriter, originally from Staten Island, NY, so I felt some kind of kindred spirit thing with her. It's pretty wonderful - she sings a folksy "I've Got My Love To Keep You Warm" to start the collection,  and as much as I have heard this song before, she makes it sound different enough for me to pay attention. There is a lot of honestly in her interpretation that I instantly believed. She then follows with  "Snowfall," and "When The Leaves," two originals that resonated, especially the former. The songs have a plaintive feel that you can easily relate to, and is laden with great hooks. She closes with the old chestnut  "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," and again it's a great cover: personal, heartwarming, and in the coldest and darkest of nights brings a light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment