Saturday, January 7, 2012

Heading For A Moonlight Swim

The first thing I thought of after I finished listening to Sophie Milman's album "In The Moonlight" was how I loved the song "Moonlight" was so I did a little research on it, and realized (and remembered) that the song was done by The Bergmans for the 90s remake of "Sabrina." And then I thought about how it was a wasted opportunity for Streisand to not have recorded it for her recent Bergman tribute album. So I went back and played Milman's version again, and fell in love with the song, and the track more. I think I have all of Milman's album now, and love them all. This new album, from late last year, is her slickest album to date. Jazz purists may scoff at that thought, but I think it's a step in the right direction. This is a more commercial effort for her, for sure, but I don't think she skimped on any of the artistry as well. My favorite track - a bluesy, flamenco lilt on "Till There Was You," a song that always touches me. I love her wordless vocal play in the beginning, it didn't feel forced or show-offy. Milman has a husky mahogany hued instrument that I love, and there is just that hairline bit of (Russian? Canadian?) accent that makes it personal and distinctive. For some reason, her "Do It Again" always gets chosen by my player randomly and I think I know her version by heart now. That's not a bad thing. And I totally dig that she sings "So Sorry" originally sung by Leslie Feist, so you know she still has her finger in the pulse of what is current, and is not close-minded when it comes to music. Well, she is still in her twenties after all and has her full musical journey ahead of her. I hope to be able to see her musical evolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment