Thursday, January 5, 2012

Prepare Ye

The current production of "Godspell" at The Circle has been much maligned. It got mostly bad review from the critics that I felt sorry for it, and was expecting much when I saw it. I almost skipped it, actually. I am not the biggest fan of its score, which I still feel is dated save for some songs. And it is much too earnest, and kind of preachy and those are two things that are low on my list of favorite things. And, I still feel that way after seeing this production. And there were tons of cringe-worthy moments, starting from the cell phone entrance, the "join the cast on stage" gimmick, and the corny jokes they inserted just to make the material more topical. I can't say that I really enjoyed it but I have to say something for it, though: it has one of the best singing cast on Broadway right now, a literally who's who of the stars of tomorrow. There isn't a bad egg in the cast, starting with Hunter Parrish (who has an electric stage presence, and a sweet sweet voice) and Terry Leung (I kind of wanted to ask him - you left 'Glee' for this?) to Lindsay Mendez and Anna Maria Perez de Tagle (she needs to shorten that name) As a matter of fact, it was sort of a delight to see all these kids having a good time, and you know they are having the time of their lives, and their energy is infectious - but up to a point. The show is still badly directed, and kind of looks cheap, and nothing in it could make me like the score (a personal thing, but still...) I know the show has rabid fans, and I do wish it well, but once was enough for me. I'll look for the talented cast in their future, better shows. 


P.S. That said, though, I must say I cannot get this song out of my head, and Hunter Parrish sings it so beautifully here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment