Thursday, August 23, 2012

Don't Bother, They're Here (Book Review: Tell The Wolves I'm Home, Carol Rifka Brunt)

Sometimes you just read a book and you feel it's perfect: how it touches you right to the core, how the characters feel like people you know inside and out. That's how I felt about "Tell The Wolves I'm Home." I felt such a connection to it that I felt it was telling my story, even though my own is not as vivid, nor as poetic. The book is a coming of age, set in a time - 1987 - when I did come of age and started learning about life. June is a teenager, who has a very close relationship with his uncle Finn, who was struggling with AIDS. I flash back to that time and I remember how people living with the disease were treated. There was so much unknown about AIDS that people did not know how to deal with it. After he passes on, she strikes a friendship with his lover, Toby, and she learns everything she needs about love, about jealousy, about her mother's relationship with her uncle, and ultimately about how to repair a marred relationship with her sister. It is such a lyrical novel that I want to go back and savour sentences again - they read and sound so beautiful and elegant. I found myself weeping, caring and hating the main character, June, as she makes mistakes and tries to repair them the best way she can. After I read the last word of the book, I closed my eyes, and they were all still there- the characters still vivid, still real. This is quite possibly the best book I have read this year. 

BC-69

No comments:

Post a Comment