Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Come To Me, Blend To Me (Movie Review: Blended)

I don't know how I ended up seeing the Adam Sandler movie "Blended," but, well, I did. I can't remember the last time I saw one, some of his movie's trailers alone offend me (which one was that one where he dresses liek a woman?) So I entered this with a mixture of trepidation....and dread.  thank God for Drew Barrymore, an actress I have a d=soft spot for, and she is great here. I don't think she is capable of being unlikeable even in an obnoxious role like she has here. As single mother Lauren here, she gives a suniness to her role that you just feel good watching her. The movie si a by-the-numbers production. You can see the set-ups a mile away. but guess what, though. I found myself smiling, chuckling, even laughing. I mean, it's ultimately an unmemorable movie, but I believed it more than I didn't, and I think it's because of the effortless chemistry that Barrymnore has with Sandler. Their banter, sometimes witless, is easy going and familiar. And underneath it all, there is an underlying sweet message that gets hammered to the audience as if they were children - subtlety is not the film's strongest suit. On a hot summer day, it is like a cold splash of water. It kept me awake for a bit, as it evaporates quickly in the summer heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment