Saturday, July 5, 2014

Come Together Right Now (Movie Review: They Came Together)

To be honest, it took me a bit to realize that "They Came Together" was a parody movie, as I had not read anything about the movie prior to seeing it. I only knew that it starred Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler, and I just thought that in this movie, they were playing it straight. The movie sends up a lot of the romantic comedy cliches - the meet-cute, the costume party, the woman deciding not to wear so she has a fashion show montage. Jokes come and go like spitfire, and a lot of time you don't even realize it until its gone, but I have to say the funniest bits made me laugh out loud a couple of times. There's a little bit with Christopher Meloni at the costume party that left me in tears from laughing too hard. This film was directed by David Wain, who earlier parodied summer movies in "Wet Hot American Summer," so he knows what he is doing. Rudd and Poehle are perfect - they get to flex their impressive comedic muscles here, and you will fall in love with them here. The st-up sometimes get too obvious but who cares. This is a great adult comedy, and we don't get too many of those nowadays, so rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment