Monday, May 11, 2015

Me & My Machine (Film Thoughts: Ex-Machina)

We are responsible for what we create. Wasn't that a quote from "The Little Prince?" I can't help but think of that quote after I finished watching "Ex-Machina," a movie I did not realize would even affect me. I remember seeing the trailer a while back and thinking to myself that this is not my kind of movie. But this is one of those movies that instantly grabs you once you start watching it. The story unfolds like an onion, as you dig deeper into it, you get more and more layers, and most of it is surprising. I don't think I have seen any of Alex Garland's previous movies (he is also a novelist) since his oeuvre is mostly sci-fi (not my genre at all, as I had mentioned) but points for him for keeping my attention, and getting me engaged. We also get wonderful performances here, especially from the trio of Oscar Castillo, Domhnall Gleason, and Alicia Vikander (the latter is a major star in the making) I don't think I will ever watch this movie again, but for the time I gave it it entertained me - and made me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment