Saturday, May 10, 2014

Who Traveled In And Out My Door (Book Review; To All The Boys I've Loved Before, Jenny Han)

I remember binge-reading the "The Summer I Turned..." series and knew I would always read anything by Jenny Han. So it turns out she has a new novel out, "To All The Girls I've Loved Before," and I read it as soon as I could. I love it. You know why? I thought that "hopeless romantic" gene in me had already left, but I realized it only takes a novel like this for its spark to get reignited inside me. She crafts a great character in Lara Jane, the protagonist in this novel. Lara Jane is a lot of things - she is lovable, infuriating, but above all, she is a real three dimensional person. You may not agree with some of her choices, but I bet you definitely can relate to how she is feeling and the you will definitely understand why she reacts based on those feelings. And it was nice to see old jaded me still get somewhat surprised but how the story twists and turns here. Yes, I know that there isn't a resolution in the end of the novel - I liked that we are all free to interpret it based on how we feel about the characters - but that may be more because this is the first book in a series. I don't know if I can wait till the next installment. 

P.S. I wonder if the teen market realizes that the title is based on a 80s pop hit by Julio Iglesias?

No comments:

Post a Comment