Saturday, May 24, 2014

The One I Hate (Book Review The One & Only, Emily Giffin)

Well, it had to happen. After loving Emily Giffin's past six books, her seventh book's charm has eluded me completely. Her books have always been "appointment reading" for me: I would buy them the day they are released and read them instantly. I hated this book. I didn't care about any of the main characters, and the main love story was so creepy it made my skin crawl. I couldn't wait to finish it so I can get rid of them in my life. Plus, I felt I was manipulated into liking the love story by setting up the "alternative."  There's a lot of sports-related stuff in here, and although I don't understand football all that much, I tried to play long but in the end, it was too much. Frankly, I thought that stuff was a little too self-indulgent. I really hope Ms. Giffin writes her next book soon so the taint of this book could be erased from her oeuvre.

No comments:

Post a Comment