Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Amy, Amen (Music Thoughts: Amy Grant, Be Still And Know: Hymns & Faith)

I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you. One of my most favorite albums right now is from a genre that I would never associate with myself: Christian music. The album that I am digging right now? Amy Grant's "Be Still And Know: Hymns & Faith." of course, I shouldn't (and really don't) discriminate: a good song is a good song; wonderful music is wonderful music. A lot of people - including myself - probably only know Grant from her pop days from the 90s. But she has been singing Christian music way before that, and is something of an icon in those circles. One can see why - you can tell that she is in her groove singing these songs, as she infuses herself so immensely in them, that you feel that she feels every word, and every nuance is apt, every breath measured. My favorite tracks? "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee," and "'Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus."  I somehow can overlook the overly religious and self-righteous messages of these songs, and just listen to the wonderful melody, and Grant's great voice interpreting them. And "El Shaddai" always slays me. I read on Amazon that apparently that this album is a compilation from previous albums, and has been marketed somewhat misleadingly. (uh-oh, that's not very Christian) For someone who does not have this discography, this is a perfect starter for her non-secular music.  And if it converts you t  Christianity, I am sure they will like that, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment