Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Send In The Clowns (Movie Thoughts: Hot Pursuit)

I knew this movie was going to be bad. And I was right, "Hot Pursuit" is a hot mess. I mean, going into it, I wasn't expecting the next Citizen Kane but I thought I would at least get a chuckle or two out of it. But I honestly did not even crack a smile. With buddy movies, the one thing essential between the  main principals is chemistry. Sad to say, Reese Witherspoon and Sophia Vergara do not have any. Vergara fares just a tiny bit better, playing the Latina clown, but it's not like she put some thought into her character - this is just an extension of her character from "Modern Family" and after a while,  it's just a repetition of a repetition. Witherspoon even fares worse - I don't know what possesses her to do this movie. She is sorely miscast (I am imagining this could have worked better with, say, Melissa McCarthy) and cannot do comedy to save her life. I mean, she was brilliant in a black comedy, like in "Election" but she has no comedic timing to speak off for this role. The story is a disjointed mess, and I couldn't help but root for them to get caught so the movie can end right away. This was a total waste of my time, and I imagine anyone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment