Monday, August 29, 2011

X Derailed




I hereby nominate Joe McElderry's album "Classic" as the weirdest album of the year. If not, then maybe the most hilarious. Yes, I know, he has a story thus far: won Simon Cowell's X Factor, got signed by SyCo, album didn't sell, got dropped, and joined a reality program where pop stars "transition" to opera stars. Hence, this album. But based on this recording, I think calling him an "Opera Star" would be the stretch of all stretches.  I honestly doubt Pavarotti has any reason to be concerned. McElderry's thin voice has no depth, his interpretations have no depth, his new hairstyle has no depth.  This is karaoke at its worst, from tepid versions of songs by Sarah Brightman, Celine Dion, even Susan Boyle (Via "I DrEeamed A Dream")  I really hope this helps him gain some following, because at this point it might lose him some. I actually did not dislike his pop album "Wide Awake," and thought he had some potential. Perhaps that is why his cover of Luther Vandross' "Dance With My Father" is the most serviceable one here. If we can be real, his voice has a "pretty boy" quality that may work on an amplified role in a musical, for example. But him singing "Nessun Dorma" in either Italian or English won't get him anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment