Saturday, October 1, 2011

Half A Whole Number (Movie Thoughts: What's Your Number)


I have not seen the Summer sleeper hit "Bridesmaid" yet, but a lot of people use that movie as the yardstick for this new trend of raunchy, female-centric R rated comedies. I don't know if I will care much for it, based on my dislike on that side of "What's Your Number," which a lot of people say takes from that movie, and that trend.  Allie Darling, the main character in this movie played by Anna Farris, reads an article in Marie Claire Magazine saying women who have slept with more than twenty men have lesser chance of finding a husband. That's the premise of the movie, which is like the blind leading the blind. I am not going to lie- that first part of the movie was torture for me. The concept is just so numbingly dumb, I was asking myself what the hell I was doing watching the movie. Even the eye candy sight of Chris Evans (and he spends a good part of the movie looking good shirtless) couldn't keep me interested in this. But then towards the last eighth of the movie, it rallied for me, and while I am normally not a fan of weddings (and weddings in movies) I found myself verklempt by the wedding scenes in here. I guess, in my heart of hearts, I am still that hopeless romantic. I can't say I connected much with the Faris character, and I thought Evans was particularly one-dimensional in here, like he was lost in the wrong movie. I never believed them. And I felt sad for Blythe Danner, caught once  again in a shallow character in a bad movie. Even though the finale of the movie worked for me, I was lost by then. Perhaps this movie would be a good rental, but I cannot really recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment