Friday, November 4, 2011

Mothers' Story


The other day was All Souls Day, and I thought of my mom. She passed away 20 years ago, and I always think of her on that day. So I wanted to read something about a mother, and I looked through my Kindle and found "A Mother's Day," by Kaira Rouda. It's a moody piece, three separate stories interlocked by a tragedy. The gimmick is kind of transparent, and a cynic can be turned off by it. I let my guard down, and was pleasantly surprised. I wish there was more depth, and the thread that bound the three stories was more solid, but the stories are honest and heartfelt, and at some instances very touching. It's a think slice in a bigger story, and perhaps Ms. Rouda has bigger plans for these characters, but for now, this is a small slice worth savoring.

BC-36

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry it took me so long to find your review - but thank you for reading A Mother's Day! Yes, you're right, it is a think slice, as you put it, and I am glad you saw it that way! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete