Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sophisticated Soil (Scent Thoughts: Un Jardin Sur Le Toit, Hermes)


I love Jean Claude Ellena's Jardin series for Hermes. I use and wear all of them, as I think they are all versatile, effervescent, and very modern. Even the much maligned Un Jardin Apres La Mousson is a great melon fragrance, a sophisticated take in the fruit. So I was very excited to smell Un Jarden Sur Le Toit, which is based on the smell of the rooftop garden of the Hermes Headquarters building at Rue du Faubourg  Saint-Honore.  Well, this must be a garden in the old-fashioned sense, because based on the perfume, it has a "rough" smell. The scent, if I could use just one word to describe it smells very vegetal. I know a lot of people have commented on smelling a lot of green apple in it, and initially I did get that, but it quickly dissolved into magnolia, and a sheer kind of rose. However, underneath it all and edging the fragrance, quite nicely, is a wet soil note, which I think is described as "compost" on the press releases. That word sounds a little menacing, but fear not, I don't think you will smell "fertilizing" smells in here. To my nose, it is even sophisticated soil, because there is that very sweet white flower in the middle. The base note has that soil note, with just a hint of basil, to balance the sweetness of the green apple. I like it lots, and this could even be my favorite of the whole series, but then I may be saying that because I have been using this the past couple of days. The sillage is strong, but then I am pretty liberal in my application. I have gotten complements on it, and most people seem to not recognize what they are smelling on me. I love when that happens!


No comments:

Post a Comment