Sunday, November 24, 2013

Hurry Styles (Television Review: Styled To Rock, Bravo)

I am going to try to objectively write about Bravo's new show "Styled To Rock" You see, I have an irrational dislike for Rhianna, and she is executive producing this show. So, yes, I am going to get that out of the way. I feel better now. Ever since Bravo lost "project Runway" to Lifetime, they have struggled to get a fashion competition show, and in my opinion, their demographic is the perfect match for a show about fashion. So enter this show, which is a reboot of one in the UK. It took me an episode or two to "get" the format, and I like it. The challenges are given out in the beginning of the show, but only an x number gets pulled out and shown to the judges. More or less, every week the contestants are given a celebrity judge, and they are to create a look for that person. The celebrities are impressive: Kylie Minogue, Miley Cyrus, and Carly Rae Jepsen have shown up. 

But there's something here that looks "low rent" to me. For example, I don't think the designer pool is as talented.  Episode after episode, I have seen more bad designs that good ones. And, I think the show suffers from not being set in New York City, which gives a more "Fashion Capital" feel (and access to more prestigious designer judges)  I do realize, that this show is more celebrity based than fashion centric. The grand prize for the winner would be part of Rhianna's fashion team, and that is a much different goal than being chose to show at New York Fashion week. Plus, and this is a shallow observation, the designer pool is considerable less telegenic. 

I am five episodes in, after binge watching it, and am sort of hooked. What I like most is the revolving door of celebrity guests, and having them choose and interact with the designers. The hosts aren't really making an impression with me, but the process is kind of interesting. I just need to throw away my NYC fashion bias, and I could really enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment